Thursday, October 4, 2018

After more than 10 long years: We're ba-aaack!

I've decided to restart this blog with a wider scope of topics. While I am still interested in the night sky (and will post a couple of images that I have taken in the past that you may enjoy) I'm also interested in a great many other things and I will always enjoy learning new things. I have many interests in my life and I think it is wrong to call most of the "hobbies". The line I like to use is that "I collect hobbies" but it really isn't about a hobby as much as it is in understanding things better.

For example: Sourdough bread making. It is not news to point out that bread has been a staple of humans diet for millenia. These days, we mostly pay somebody else to bake it for us. However, it isn't Rocket Surgery. And being in control of the ingredients (down to milling the flour or rye from grain) can be both fun, educational, satisfying AND nutritional. Does doing it myself make it a "hobby" on the same time-wasting/consuming level as model railroading? (No offense to you model railroad enthusiasts out there). I don't think so!


 Similarly, the beverages that we consume are endlessly interesting, starting with COFFEE. Home coffee roasting is simple, with a hot air corn popper (albeit only a 1/2 cup of green coffee beans at a time). I'm interested in roasting bigger quantities and so have begun construction of both a 1 lb propane drum coffee roaster and a 5 lb electric fluid-bed roaster. Tangental to this endeavor is PID control and data acquisition/logging, which involves learning a bit about those devices and some electronics along the way. Mead making interests me, as well and requires a lot less equipment than home beer brewing (which I have done, but left behind, selling all of my equipment).

  3D Printing has come down to a price point that bring it to the (nerdy) masses. The skills needed to tune a 3D printer, design 3D objects, and actually manufacture whatever you want/need out of PLA or ABS could be endlessly practical - not just a time-wasting "hobby". I have a Wanhao i3 Duplicator that I will hopefully be discussing going forward.

In short, I remain interested in just about everything in the known universe, on a rotating basis. I often get started on one thing only to be "distracted" by something new I learn. I will get back to the unfinished interest eventually! This blog is going to help document those new things that I learn and give me a way to keep track of the different "threads" that I find interesting or am exploring. You are welcome to "come along for the ride"! Share your thoughts and questions.


No comments: